It’s pear season! A friend down the road has a pear tree with an abundant supply and I have gone pear crazy.
I decided to start with Pear Butter. If it works with apples why not pears. I found some recipes and adapted them into a Red Wine Pear Butter that is delicious. If you like pears poached in red wine you will love this.
5 lbs of pears
(cut into 2 in pieces, if using a food mill it is not necessary to core them,
if not using a food mill I suggest coring)
1 cup red wine
2 cups water
4 slices of orange
4 whole cloves
1 cinnamon stick
1 vanilla bean split
1/2 Tsp cardemon
1 & 1/2 cup of sugar
Dash of salt
1. Place cut pears, wine and water into a large pot and bring to a boil.
2. Once boiling reduce heat to medium/low and let cook until pears are soft
(the average for me was about 1 hour. The softer the pears the easier to put through the mill or sieve)
3. Once pears are cooked press through the food mill or push through a sieve.
Discard any hard parts left from the pears
4. Return pear puree to large pot and add remaining ingredients.
5. Bring to a boil.
6. Once boiling reduce heat to low/simmer for 1 to 2 hours depending on batch.
7. You can test your mixture to see if it is done by placing a small amount on a chilled plate.
There should me not liquid on around the edges.
8. If canning place finished mixture into sterilized jars and place in a water bath.
Leave in water bath 10 mins then remove and let cool completely before storing.
Hope you enjoy!
Pictures from the kitchen below.